Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My most played songs this year

This year I entailed my musical jaunts with alternative rock,progressive metal and some folk rock,genres that produced an overhaul in the kind of music I had been wont to all this while.During my 2hr travel to college via bus and metro,those sporadic breaks during end sem preparations and when I used to reach my saturation point becoming apathetic to almost everything,these songs helped while away the time,sometimes getting me back on track or making me more indolent maintaining the status quo.

1.Hard Sun

This song from Into the Wild(soundtrack),the first solo studio album from Pearl Jam vocalist Eddie Vedder,is a marvelous composition.It is the song that marks the beginning of Chris McCandless's long and eventful journey in the movie.I think I can associate feelings of surreal transgression with this song partly because of its indelible guitars and amazing vocals and how aptly it was related to the story.I often pondered over the deep meaning of its lyrics but ended up enjoying the track with my own nebulous conclusions.

2.Scene Six:Home

From the brilliantly imaginative album,Metropolis 2: Scenes from a Memory by Dreamtheater,this is progressive metal to the hilt.An ominous start with a mix of various random sounds streamlined with a haunting guitar solo,it attains momentum with an abrupt distortion transforming into a spectacular composition which makes one undergo a trance experience of sorts,consumed by the forlorn feelings expressed by the lyrics and the spellbinding guitar solos.

3.Black

My 2nd favorite track from the album,Ten by Pearl Jam,first being "Jeremy".This a truly heart-rending song with lyrics of depth sung impeccably and passionately by Eddie Vedder.It was an instant addiction,heard it almost 5 times daily for a week or more,cant really say.Although it has a poignant feel,but its easily the perfect and most suitable song for such situations.They are simply my most revered lyrics this year:
"I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
Can't it be, can't it be mine"

4.Lift

A remarkable rendition from the album,Signs of life by Poets of the Fall.I have been listening to this song since last year and it still hasn't lost its charm.It was a fad then and it still appeals to me now.It always tends to take me into a utopian ambiance,into an alternate world out of confusion into seamless processes with clarity and emotional satiety.

5.Rooster

An incredible song from the album Dirt by Alice in Chains.From a sluggish start to a sprightly progression it makes me frivolous time and again.It became a fetish in my recently concluded end sem and has the potential for the coming ones as well.

6.The day the whole world went away
Originally composed by Nine Inch Nails but remixed for Terminator Salvation's theatrical trailer,this songs is clearly the most apposite to reflect upon the dystopian conditions after the nuclear holocaust,the irrecoverable losses and the consequential wretched outlook.

No comments:

Post a Comment